Monday, September 22, 2008

grand bend weekend

I sometimes feel like I could gush about being born into the fantastic family I have, but I have to also add that I married into the most amazing family as well.

Nuno and I were invited to spend the weekend in Grand Bend at my sister-in-law's family cottage. I have to giggle when you hear 'cottage' these days - then you arrive to a gorgeous home nicer than your own. So we spent the weekend with the entire Pereira clan. That meant an entire weekend with the sweetest little boy of all time, my nephew, Ronan. This guy is so adorable I can't bring myself to have the next child in the family knowing it will be compared to the most perfect little guy Ronan - hehe.
Each of Nuno's siblings families took care of a meal, which meant we were given the task of supplying the Sunday breakfast. We bought fresh nectarines, peaches, raspberries and strawberries from a local Niagara stand & brought our 2 waffle irons to make waffles with whipped cream. I also couldn't help but bring some baking - Anna Olson's 'Smores Squares which were everyone's guilty pleasure.

This past weekend's weather was so crazy sunny and warm - not seasonal, especially taking into account the sort of weather we have experienced from this summer's weekends. So, I think that may have heightened our enjoyment. We spend the weekend walking, bike riding, laying on the beach, eating extraordinary meals, drinking rare beers courtesy of Miguel and, of course, enjoying each other's company. The cottage had a Nintendo Wii with Wii Fit, which I immediately became addicted to and unlocked all kinds of new stuff. I'm tempted to buy one - but must curb... the urge...
The only damper on the weekend was when my thoughts turned to my dad. He's in pain after his surgery and when I went to visit Friday I felt so sorry for him. I felt guilty having so much fun while he was in so much pain.

No comments: