Monday, February 2, 2009

the lululemon story

For Christmas one of our reps out in Vancouver sent me a gift certificate for Lululemon. For anyone who's been living under a rock, Lululemon is a brand of athletic wear that is associated with yoga, but is worn by people who are into sports and dance etc. The clothes aren't easily available for someone living in Niagara as the closest location is in Oakville. I was pretty excited to use this card on a pair of yoga pants. At the same time I bought the pants, Lululemon had a warehouse sale in Niagara Falls of all places. I must not be totally aware of just how trendy these clothes are because I innocently enough went to the opening day of this sale looking for a discount on their overpriced shirts. Before 9am, when the sale started, there was a line up of at least 500 women. The line snaked back and forth and I was one of the last people to actually make it into the building!
Now, I'm not sure if there is a gentle way of saying this without coming across totally judgemental, but I don't believe all the high school aged girls in line are into yoga or athletics. This was confirmed once I made it in and the first thing to sell out in moments of opening were their bags. Not yoga mat bags - fancy handbag bags. So now I'm a little more enlightened to the fact this brand is status for some. Kinda turns me off the brand altogether. That is until I took my first yoga class in my lulu outfit - amazing!

No comments: