Friday, April 3, 2009

ultrasound #1

Yesterday was our first ultra-sound, a very exciting time for first-time parents. I got a little nervous about this experience because of the movie Marley & Me. I saw it two days before the ultrasound and there is a scene in the movie where Owen & Jennifer are having their first ultrasound to discover a miscarriage. I nearly lost it - talk about bad timing. But, not so typical to my usual outlook, I have an optimistic view on my pregnancy and I feel strongly that everything will be just fine. I am happy and loose no sleep in worry about any detail of our lives. Everything feels so right and hopeful.

So yesterday's ultrasound was, in a way, very cliche. I had to drink 2 of my water bottles full of water in an hour, so every bump on the car ride was intense. Once they took me in for the ultrasound I could not believe how ancient the building and equipment is! I bet I looked the same to my mom & dad during their first ultrasound 30 years ago because, I don't exaggerate when I say, the equipment was
that dated. Eventually after a lot of prodding, which was only uncomfortable because of my intense need to pee, the technician let Nuno come in so we could see our baby. It's a bit too early to recognize very much, but the one thing we could see was a heart beat. That's all I wanted to see and it made me ecstatic! The beat is so fast, I think the baby was nervous about having us see it for the first time. Since I don't have all the horrible, typical signs of first trimester misery, I sometimes wonder if I really do have a life inside me. So yesterday solidified it in my mind. Since getting pregnant my senses seem heightened and I have extreme joy knowing there really is a baby inside me. It kinda blows my mind!

No comments: