Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Diner's, Drive-In's & Dives - The Dor-Stop

I mentioned in my last entry that we were in Pittsburgh over the weekend. While there, we had a complete day to ourselves to enjoy the city.

One plan we had was to visit the Dor-Stop. Nuno and I heard about this place on an episode of the Food Network show Diner's, Drive-In's and Dives. I get a kick out of this show because it relates to my sensibility of dropping yourself into a new city and finding hidden jems specific and special to the area you are visiting. We always said that if we had a chance to check out a place that looked decent from the show we should. Dor-Stop appeared on an episode called What's for Breakfast.

The Dor-Stop are known for their breakfasts, specifically Hot Cakes! They make so many flavour combinations that, after watching the episode, I immediately wanted the banana walnut hot cake. But then I was also tempted to try the pumpkin. Once there, I finally decided on the Banana Chocolate Chip!

What can I say, it was to-die-for! The tastiest pancakes I've ever had - hands down. Very rich and satisfying - it took me 2 breakfasts to eat all these.

Nuno doesn't eat sugar, but the episode also featured something called Jumbots. I always called this a breakfast scramble. It included eggs, ham, onions & peppers. He really liked it and unlike the pancakes, we could totally remake something like this at home.

No comments: