Tuesday, February 16, 2010

lentil and bulgar salad

It was a year ago that Nuno and I decided we'd try for our baby. I'll admit, being a first time mom I probably went a little overboard being super cautious of what I was eating. I was thinking about a little life possibly growing inside me and wanted the best start for the little one. I only ate super-healthy food and this Lentil and Bulgar Salad was one recipe I became totally hooked on eating.

It may not sound appetizing, but it is so surprisingly delicious!! I was craving it again last week so now I'm back to eating this salad daily.

Lentil and Bulgar Salad
reworked from Martha Stewart
  • 1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
  • 3/4 cup fine-grain bulgur wheat
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, (4 scallions)
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan, cover lentils with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover, and cook until lentils are tender but still holding their shape, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well.
  2. Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in bulgur,1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover; remove from heat, and let stand until bulgur has absorbed liquid, 30 minutes.
  3. Transfer bulgur to a large bowl. Gently stir in lentils, tomatoes, scallions, lemon juice, and oil. Serve sprinkled with feta.
Goat cheese or feta can be added, but I recommend adding it just before eating. Actually, I found that the cheese doesn't really work well in the recipe, so I make it without and adjust the salt. Another recommendation is to seed the tomatoes - it takes extra time but removes a lot of the extra liquid in the salad.

No comments: