Wednesday, May 5, 2010

magnolia bakery banana pudding

If you've been keeping up with this blog you may have picked up on my obsession with banana in baked goods. In the past year it's become my flavour of choice in banana chiffon cake, banana pancakes, banana walnut cookies, banana bread and banana cake. Well, I stumbled across another banana dessert I couldn't resist trying, Magnolia Bakery's Banana Pudding. I had a baking disappointment years ago trying Magnolia Bakery's Cupcake recipe I found online but I just couldn't resist trying another one and giving it a go.

I know the title of this recipe indicates it's a pudding, but it's so much more than that. I see it as an icebox cake and when assembling it reminds me of making a tirimisu. The flavour - well it rivals tirimisu (which is one of my favourite desserts!). No kidding, this is a piece of heaven brought down to earth in the form of a sweet, creamy, rich delight! All the accolades I read about this recipe online weren't in any exaggeration, it's truly to die for!

Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups ice cold water
1 (3.4 oz) package Jell-O instant vanilla pudding mix
3 cups whipping cream
1 (12-oz) box Nilla Wafers
4 cups sliced ripe bananas

In a small bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined, about 1 minute. Add the pudding mix and beat well, about 2 minutes more. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight before continuing. It is very important for the pudding mixture to set.


In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the pudding mixture into the whipped cream until well blended and no streaks of pudding remain.


To assemble the dessert, select a large, wide bowl with a 4-5-quart capacity. Arrange one-third of the wafers to cover the bottom of the bowl, overlapping if necessary, then one-third of the bananas and one-third of the pudding. Repeat the layering twice more, garnishing with additional wafers or wafer crumbs on the top layer of the pudding. Cover tightly first with parchment paper and then with plastic wrap. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 4 - 8 hours or even overnight.


I really enjoyed making this and even more eating it. I'll have to remember this one in a few years for Owen.

No comments: