Friday, June 18, 2010

brown-rice bowl with shrimp, snow peas and avocado

Here is last night's Brown-Rice Bowl with Shrimp, Snow Peas and Avocado.

This is one of Nuno and my all-time favourite dinners. We've been eating it since it was first published in 2008 and it's probably the Everyday Food recipe I've made most. It became a little hard to remember the title of the dinner, so I call it California Roll Bowl because that's exactly what it tastes like. I remember telling people about this dinner and most people think it's a very strange combination and it doesn't help that it's not the prettiest of dishes in a photo. But if you enjoy the shrimp & avocado combo, this meal is a must try. I'd say this is quick, which it is, but there are two mind-numbing tasks you have to get through for the pay off. Peeling shrimp and trimming the snow peas. I hate the monotony of it, and I don't recommend thinking you are taking a short-cut by buying pre-cooked and peeled shrimp. Just warning, they are hard as rocks and lack flavour.

Through making this dinner over the years I've made one small revision to it. The recipe indicates to cut ginger into small match sticks. I find the ginger flavour a little too overwhelming that way, so I grate the ginger. It's gives just a little spicy punch to the dinner without taking away from the shrimp and avocado flavour.

What was especially nice about this dinner was how it transitioned easy for Owen to enjoy. I scooped a bit of brown rice, steamed snow peas and half an avocado in the food processor and pureed. He seemed to enjoy it. I've already had him munching on avocado slices (which he squishes through his fingers, but we get a little in his mouth). I love the idea of Owen eating avocado - it's so healthy!

No comments: