Monday, July 26, 2010

orange, roasted beet and arugula salad

Last night I made Orange, Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad for dinner.

I meal planned before I came up to the cottage so that I could continue working through the book. I just had to decide which recipes could work given the many cooking obstacles up here. Actually, these same limitations have made dinner making much easier so I can spend the most amount of time on the beach and not in the cottage kitchen. I prepped all the dressings before arriving because the cottage naturally wouldn't have a pantry stocked full of 5 different types of vinegar, 3 different types of oil and Dijon mustard. I have to live without fresh cracked pepper this week - oh the sacrafices ;)

Anyways, I picked up these beets at the farmstand down Lakeshore Road in North Bay called L'Amis. I was attempting to be all Francophone about it and saying the name as you would expect a french word would be pronounced. But the neighbours told me it's pronounced - "Lamb-ies". I'm left with so many beets I'm making Quick Pickled Beets this morning.

Back to last night's salad. It's delicious and I highly recommend it. Roasting the beet takes a bit of time, but everything else is just quick assembly. I really enjoy the flavour combination of roasted beet and orange. I think most people were aware of this combination, but I only discovered it since cooking though this book and I'll probably always use it from now on.

No comments: