Tuesday, April 12, 2011

mediterranean tuna noodle casserole

I have an adopted comfort food in Tuna Noodle. Years ago I'd visit my then boyfriend Nuno at his parent's home on Friday nights (meatless for Roman Catholics) and half the time there would be Tuna Noodle Casserole waiting. At first I wasn't sure if I liked it, but then I grew to LOVE it. I have my mother-in-law's recipe for it, but it includes cans of condensed soup and frozen vegetables which aren't the way I like to eat these days. 2 years ago I found this Mediterranean Tuna Noodle in an issue of Everyday Food and it's been a dinner staple around here ever since. Hands down, this is the Everyday Food recipe I've made most.

This Mediterranean Tuna Noodle is one of my last week on earth dinners. I can't say enough about how much I love to eat this. Of course it is creamy and carb-y, but the vegetables add a lot a whole new dimension of flavour. Red peppers, artichokes and spring onions don't really sound like something that you'd typically associate with a creamy tuna dish, but there really is something totally different and delicious about this recipe. I don't care how much fat and calories are in this dinner, it is worth it on every level. My only recent revision is with consideration to Owen now includes organic red peppers and skipjack canned tuna.
There isn't any possible way to make this look appetizing but it tastes so comforting. Given the choice of a cheesecake or this Mediterranean tuna noodle, I'd choose tuna noodle over just about anything.

No comments: