Sunday, August 14, 2011

pancake weekends

We are totally missing out on a cottage weekend in Grand Bend right now. Nuno's busy with storyboard work so we had to stay home. We were planning on making a great brunch for everyone which included Montreal bagels, Jimmy Dean sausages and wild blueberry buttermilk pancakes (using our cottage blueberries from the other week). To help ease the pain of not being able to enjoy this weekend like we had hoped I made the wild blueberry buttermilk pancakes for just the 3 of us. I used this recipe I blogged about before and they turned out perfect. Then I got so sad thinking of the cottage a wave of inspiration fell on me to make Smores pancakes. 
I took half the pancake batter and added graham cracker crumbs. Then dropped several chocolate chips to the pancakes as they were grilling. A final dollop of marshmallow Fluff and here are our Smores Griddlecakes!!
I kid you not, this is a keeper. They turned out absolutely fantastic and I have a feeling we'll be making these down the road for overnight guests. The pancakes fluffed up and stayed light with the addition of the graham crackers, but they certainly didn't seem like pancakes anymore. We're calling them griddle cakes but they work as a dessert similar to a Whoopie Pie. My gosh, they are good. Eating these takes some of the sting away from not being on the beach right now.

No comments: