Thursday, December 29, 2011

christmas gift baskets

Growing up, the first sign that Christmas was coming was the arrival of gift baskets. Contractors always sent the most amazing array of chocolates, cheeses, wines, liquors & nuts. I remember as a kid finding it difficult to appreciate these baskets, but now that I've made my own life I realize what an amazing gesture they were and miss them terribly. So I decided to make my own for gift giving. I gave them to people who were hosting Christmas gatherings and have an appreciation for homemade food.
Here is a basket a gave to my in-laws. The wine is from one of our favourite local wineries, Stonechurch which is a sweet Riesling / Gewurztraminer blend that goes over well with those who say they don't like wine. Cheese, Crackers & Tea. I included my summer apricot jam (Anna Olson's recipe), fig jam and bacon jam. Bacon Jam just rocks around the holidays! It fit into just about every meal for us in the past week. We had it spread on our egg in a basket and on waffles some mornings for breakfast and it makes the most perfect left over turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce. Yep, we're livin' large around the holidays.

No comments: