Thursday, December 29, 2011

everyday food light

A new Everyday Food book was released on the 27th of December called Everyday Food Light. I was surprised that there was a gimmick behind the latest book. This indicated two things to me - they expect to continue the series(!) and broaden their readership. One major food/diet trend is the New Year's weight loss, so I'm sure this book might appeal to a whole new group of people - those with New Years resolutions to eat more homemade and healthy food. And this book will definitely deliver. I've flipped through it and come across some of my absolute favorite recent recipes which include the Lighter Chef's Salad, Thai Chicken and Noodle Salad, Spring Vegetable Couscous with Chicken, Chicken with Cornmeal Dumplings, Cilantro Lime Rice and Leek, Bacon and Pea Risotto. I'm pleased to see more shrimp recipes because we all really enjoy dinners which include seafood.

Now, just a little bit on food and diet. I've been 140 pounds and 100 pounds in the past 5 years. Since I've been one extreme and the other I can tell you what works for me. I like to be the size I am (between the two) and to maintain a healthy happy weight I've found there are three main factors at work. The first and most important is portion control. In the larger days I'd take second helpings on dinners. I had just learned to cook, successfully, and loved everything I made so thought nothing of going back for more. Not a good idea if you're looking to keep weight off. The second is to be aware of fat in your diet. This one is simple and this Everyday Food Light book pretty much takes care of this part of diet awareness. I don't eat very much processed & packaged foods, which is one thing that will tip you way over on fat intake without realizing it. Finally, I enjoy a good work out and exercise is a  good thing if you enjoy it. I need it because it keeps me more alert, energetic for the day and um... regular. So now that you know much more about me, probably more than you ever wanted to, I hope you continue reading as we eat our way through the Everyday Food Light book. And I might just let you know if we see any weight loss happening because after a week of bacon jam and cookies I think a detox is well in order around these parts.

1 comment:

Blondýna said...

I love this book. I have only Kindle version, but recipes are perfect!