Monday, January 30, 2012

breakfast quinoa

Owen's been asking for rice for just about every meal lately. This past Saturday morning I figured I'd beat him to the punch and decided to make him something similar with this Breakfast Quinoa.
It's basically just a rework on oatmeal with brown sugar, cinnamon and blueberries. It is really tasty. I haven't looked into if it's nutritionally superior to oatmeal, but in my mind I'll say it is. So, it is not any quicker to make and doesn't have that gooey soft texture we've all grown to love with oatmeal. What it does have on its side is that it's great warm or cool. Typically we'll just toss out extra uneaten portions of oatmeal, but this breakfast quinoa retains its texture and can reheat well. I even used all the leftovers for some Sunday morning blueberry Quinoa Cakes. What a protein-packed weekend!

No comments: