Wednesday, January 18, 2012

my morning coffee

I'm really into New Year's Resolutions. I've made many and kept some of the most challenging ones. To start yoga, to start working out, to learn to cook and make homemade dinners, to keep up this blog, to stop my daily Starbucks habit (ie. save $). The way I made that last one work was to learn to make a fantastic cup of coffee at home. Here's my daily ritual.
It starts with the beans. I'm really into this Mapled Mocha Java that I buy 5 lb vacuum sealed. Buying in bulk is the most economical way to purchase quality beans. 
Once I open the bag I weigh 1lb of beans into ziploc bags and freeze immediately. Then as I need them I pull them out and store them in airtight containers. 
Every morning I grind the beans fresh. I can eyeball the ratio, but if you're just learning the ratio this tool will always give you the perfect cup. Once scoop per cup of water.
This tool is so basic, but along with boiled water it's all you need for one single cup of great coffee.
But I need way more than one cup daily, and this Cuisinart DCC-1200 Brew Central 12 cup programmable coffee maker is the best I've ever owned.  Use cold water when brewing fresh coffee through a coffee maker.
There is a built-in water filter and a setting to brew small coffee batches (because have you ever tried to brew 3 cups on a 12 cup machine? It never works out!)

I'm no coffee somalier (if I were, I'm sure I'd know the proper term for it). So I hesitate to blog and come across like 'this is the right way' to make coffee. It's just what I like and found works for us through lots of trial & error.

So, what's my New Year's Resolution this year? Well, I'm giving my previous years failed resolution another go. It's to watch more TV. I keep finding myself in social situations where people go on and on about all these great shows like Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire. I feel like I'm really missing out on quality television and it bums me out. So I've got to find a way of making time to let myself relax and unwind - and stay awake. Believe it or not, it's a challenge for me.

1 comment:

Rubab said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.