Tuesday, February 21, 2012

croque monsieur and croque madame

Whenever I go out for brunch if I spot a Croque Monsieur / Madame on the menu I'm sold. This is a breakfast sandwich done French-style - so it's that much better. It dawned on me recently that I didn't necessarily have to go out to enjoy one, I could learn to make my own. Believe it or not, it is not difficult - just a little time consuming. And when do you have more time in the morning for something like this than a long weekend? 

Since Katie was visiting we decided to make it happen this weekend.  We followed Bar Boululd's Croque Monsieur recipe and it is wonderful!
Fairly straight forward to make, I'm thinking we wouldn't try it any other way. This sandwich is everything you'd want in a special brunch. The gruyere cheese blends with the bechamel sauce making it creamy and flavorful. To the left is our Croque Madame (when you add a fried egg on top). 
The Croque Monsieur sliced shows the layers of cheese and ham.

Most of the time nothing beats the standard Cheese, Egg and Ham English Muffin Sandwich which I will often eat for lunch. Here is something I made up on a whim for Owen this past long weekend, Green Eggs and Ham.
I added the tiniest drop of green food colouring to the milk on his scrambled eggs. The addition of avocados really brought out the colour. He loves his scrambled eggs and avocados.

No comments: