Wednesday, June 13, 2012

coriander-crusted flank steak


The July/August 2012 issue of Everyday Food magazine features the recipe for Coriander-Crusted Hanger Steak (which we substituted flank steak for). This is basically a rub of crushed whole coriander seeds, bay leaves and black pepper. Once grilled we were really pleased with the result. A quick and simple way to boost the flavour of your steaks.
On the side is my potato salad. I've reworked this potato salad with fantastic results. Here's how it's made:

Creamy Potato Salad
2 lbs of scrubbed new potatoes, halved, large quartered
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup light plain yogurt
1/4 cup light mayo
2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp dijon
1 bunch of thinly sliced scallions, just white and tender green parts
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled 

In a large pot, cover potatoes with salted water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp paring knife, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and mix in sour cream, yogurt, mayo vinegar and dijon. While stirring mash a few potatoes and blend into salad. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature and add the scallions and bacon. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.


After posting this entry I noticed that I’ve now posted 800 entries. When I first started writing I didn’t expect to make it past 50, but to maintain and grow this blog has become a fun hobby. It’s been a way of tracking and enjoying things in my life that are important to me such as my family, vacations, milestones and of course food.

No comments: