Friday, July 6, 2012

southwestern steak salad

This Southwestern Steak Salad is another recipe featured in the July/August 2009 issue of Everyday Food magazine. We used the extra flank steak from Wednesday night's dinner along with avocado, cucumber, red onion, tomatoes and romaine. The dressing includes a mix of lime and chipotle.
Owen is finally on board with eating salads! I focused more on having him eat raw sliced veggies for the past year and a half. I knew he was eating salads at child care, but I could never figure out how they were dressed. I decided to buy a bottle of classic Italian dressing a couple months ago and that seemed to be the key to getting him to eat salads at home. I'm so relieved because a basic salad is one of my favourite things to eat. I actually would buy a premade salad at Zehrs for lunch as an indulgence (instead of running out to A&W like most resonable people would when a craving hits). That's what happens when you go without for so long.

The recipe for this salad is available right here for demonstration.
I've been meaning to mention about something new Everyday Food has implemented. About a month ago Everyday Food announced a new an innovative way of recipe sharing. They are featuring an online stream of their featured recipe in a demo hosted by Editor-In-Chief Sarah Carey
I love this idea! After watching several clips I'd say this is perfect for people who are just learning the ropes in the kitchen. I have friends who tell me that when they cook from recipes it doesn't always turn out because they had didn't quite know how to prep the ingredients properly. Ever want to know how thin to slice your potato or small your pieces of ginger should be chopped? That is what these streams are prefect for! I definitely learned cooking and baking techniques from reading Everyday Food magazine and watching PVR'd episodes of Everyday Food's TV series during my days home on maternity leave. Getting to know you're way around the kitchen and handling food is something that takes years, but these clips fast-track by giving you a quick demo of how to prepare the featured recipe. Now more and more people are cooking straight from their iPad and iPhones, so you could literally set up a stand against your kitchen backsplash, get your demo, load the recipe and you're ready to rock. 
Also, Sarah Carey is fun to watch! She's funny, bright and shares tons of knowledge on each segment. It feels like I've known her for ages since she was the host of Everyday Food (television series) and appears on the Martha Stewart Show (which I haven't seen in years since they moved to the Hallmark Channel - which we as Canadians don't have access to. Only a slight bone of contention here). To view all episodes follow this link.

No comments: