Wednesday, March 27, 2013

seafood stew

I was really looking forward to try Everyday Food Light's Seafood Stew since we are huge seafood lovers. For the stew I purchased fresh tilapia along with an assortment of shrimp, squid, clams, mussles and scallops. One of my favourite seafood dinners is this Everyday Food Halibut with Tomatoes and Fennel, so I naturally assumed this would be the soup version.



One revision I made was to cut back on the chicken broth and use a jar of clam juice instead. Once complete, I realized I really should have sliced the fennel smaller. Slicing length wise, they cooked to long noodle like strands that were messy to eat. But, unfortunetly, we won't be trying this again. The flavour just was not there and no matter how I tinkered, nothing could improve it. Bland, bland, bland. I was so close to making a cioppino recipe instead which called for more ingredients, I now realize would have imparted way more flavour, and after tasting this I realize I made the wrong decision.

No comments: