Tuesday, July 2, 2013

happy canada day!

I hope all you Canadians out there had a wonderful Canada Day Weekend. Our first long weekend of the summer is always a good time and we packed this past one with lots of family outings. My boss gave me 2 complimentary tickets to one of Niagara’s largest concert festivals of the year at Butler’s Barracks. Maybe because I live under a rock and don’t listen to any modern Canadian rock I wasn’t really aware of all the artists playing at this festival. Kinda embarrassed because most of them are Juno winners. The festival line up included Yukon Blonde, Serena Ryder, Jimmy Eat World (OK, I know about them), Metric (them too) and City and Colour. This festival is located across the street from Fort George in Niagara-On-The-Lake at Butler’s Barracks and I just loved how close it was for us to attend. What didn’t impress me was the majority of people who paid upwards of $75 per ticket also had to pay $20 parking fee and $11 for a plastic cup of beer. Totally outrageous! What I loved about this festival were the awesome food vendors, the festival vibe, all the cool kids (of what my guess would be about 15 thousand in attendance) who were really chill and cool with Owen. He loved hanging out, dancing and enjoying the concert.

Yes, we brought Owen because the Niagara Parks website indicated it was a family event where children 10 and under were free so we really had nothing to lose going into it. He had loads of fun, so I’m glad we took our chances and let him come with us to another concert (especially considering he was really disappointed about not being able to see the Rolling Stones with us).


The bands were fantastic but by 8pm when Metric hit the stage their totally underwhelming performance had us teetering on leaving. But the major deal breaker happened when the sky opened up and poured buckets on everyone. We vacated to the parking lot but were soaked from head to toe by the time we made it to the car. But it was awesome and such a great day we won’t soon forget.


The other big outing for us was on Canada Day Monday to a picnic held by Toronto’s classic rock station Q107 at Woodbine Park in Toronto.

I have family who leave near the Beaches, so all of us cousins decided to meet up and enjoy an afternoon of kid’s midway rides, food trucks, live classic rock cover bands and fireworks.

Owen really got into the spirit.

And to get back to food blogging, I tried a new celebatory red and white recipe this past weekend for a Raspberry Buckle.

Making it reminded me of this Peach Buckle I was quite hooked on baking 3 summers ago. And when it comes to homey desserts, this one rates up as one of the best. It may not look like much but it’s an absolute delight! An easy and economical bake, I can honestly say that buckles are one of my favourite ways to enjoy baked summer fruits.

No comments: